Monday, February 21, 2011

Should I be Protesting About Something?

Protesting is in vogue, and I have nothing to protest about. The world is going protest-crazy. For a while now, all the protesting has been on the other side of the pond, but last week changed that. The cheese heads of Wisconsin have decided that they want to get in on the global trend and have started a protest of their own. According to Yahoo! news,

"Tens of thousands have demonstrated throughout the week against Republican Governor Scott Walker's proposed legislation, which supporters say is needed to bring spending under control and opponents contend would break the back of state worker unions."

Nope, I have no interest in protesting, on either side, for that. Perhaps I am supposed to want to protest. Should I get on a plane and hop on over to Super Bowl country for some Grade A, NYT front page worthy, protesting? I will find something worth protesting about, hopefully it will be a subway ride away.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin




3 comments:

  1. Protests are definitely in vogue although I am not sure if all protests are equal. One is for the toppling of an oppressive government while the other is over fiscal policy. However, protests are something to do to pass the time even if they are not calling for something as drastic as the toppling of a government. Protests also get people involved in the democratic process and utilizing their constitutional rights, something that is nice to see in any democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think history shows that protests have taken place in every generation for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Anytime a group of people gather to challenge a government's policy, that is a protest. A few protests come immediately to mind, such as women's suffrage, the Civil Rights movement, and anti-war protests (Vietnam, Iraq, etc) - and these are only in the United States! The examples are really endless, and are not exclusive to dissatisfaction with a regime type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to your comment on my post about super-powers, interesting point - I haven't really thought about that, but now that I have I think it will be a scary world if there is a super-power that does not allow tweeting or googling or any type of free thought. I think we will have regressed a lot if that should ever happen. Now for protesting, I agree with the comments above that protests have always existed and have seemed to make a difference, I think what's happening now is that with all this new social media - people are able to communicate faster and more easily with many more people, therefore getting MANY more people to come out and protest together, whereas in previous years before the internet and social media, the protest announcements could only go so far....

    ReplyDelete